East Guildford (1) - SignallingWA

Go to content

East Guildford (1)

Signal Cabins in WA

EAST GUILDFORD (1)

WAGR - Eastern Railway (E. R.)

1938 WAGR MAP Mileage = 9

Lat: ?

Long:  ?

Next Down Station:

Next Up Station:

WEST MIDLAND

GUILDFORD

Quick Facts

Previously: WOODBRIDGE
Re-named: 01/04/1908
Mechanical
Electrical
? Levers
?
Signal Box Closed: 15/12/1949

Fate: Unknown

Declarations in the Weekly Notices between No 10 to 14 of 1908 officially announced the change of name of 'WOODBRIDGE' station (and Signal Box) to 'EAST GUILDFORD'. The Railway's Auditor also followed suit with advisories in Weekly Notices Nos 16 and 17 with the directive: "Owing to the similarity in names between “Guildford” and “East Guildford,” it is requested that special care be exercised in abstracting Goods Invoices, etc., and Parcels Waybills, so that the traffic of one station will not get confused with the other..."


Due to locomotive Driver's signal sighting requirements, on the 27th January 1909, the Up Starting Signal at East Guildford was replaced with a new 30 foot high signal which was fitted with a 'repeating' arm (also known as a co-acting signal) so as to show under, and over, the station's footbridge.


Names associated with the East Guildford station varied over the years: W. Padbury and Turton's Siding being prominent, with the leases being subject to change from time to time.


The following instructions for the working of East Guildford were shown on pages 283 and 284 of the 1922 General Appendix to the Book of Rules and Regulations and to the Working Time Table:

East Guildford.
This Station is interlocked.
The Signal Box is switched in between certain hours (see current time table) and when required.
When the Signal Box is switched out, the signals must (when an Officer is on duty) be placed at Danger in the rear of all trains stopping at the station, and must not be lowered until the train has gone well forward.
Goods trains must not stop at this station during the night for roadside purposes after the Assistant Station-master has ceased duty.
The Blocking Back Signal 2-4 is not used at this station.









An Ash Dump Siding was constructed and opened for use on the 7th December 1928, which was to stay in use until removed on 16th June, 1932. This rendered No. 9 Points and No. 10 Disc Signal, and the Signal Cabin levers controlling them being painted white as they were then 'spare'. The Diagram of Signalling W & W Plan No. 19500 B was amended accordingly.


The Train Control System was introduced between Fremantle and Midland Junction at 9.0 a.m. on Wednesday 21st May 1930. This required the close attention of Signalmen to the running of all Express, Country Passenger, Mixed trains, Goods trains, and also all Suburban Passenger trains when running 5 minutes late or over. These had to be reported to Train Control.

Again, due to locomotive Driver's signal sighting requirements, on the 11th October 1948, the Down Starting Signal at East Guildford was replaced with a half-bracket signal.

On a curious note, nothing can be found in the Weekly Notices about the end of this signal cabin's life, but the only record, (so far found), was written on the Station's Signalling Record card. These cards were kept and maintained by the Signals Branch to document the changes to each signal box, and although frustratingly brief, they do provide valuable detail. In this case it was merely written that the "New Signal Box was brought into use on the 15th December 1949." No doubt the old cabin would have been either demolished or perhaps moved and re-used, which could have been in keeping with others of its type, but until further information comes to hand, this will be a bit of a mystery.

In any account, the 'New Signal Box' was incorporated into the Station Building, which was only a little way along from the original Cabin's location on the Up Platform. More can be found out about this on the East Guildford (2) page of this resource.

Now, nothing of the East Guildford (1) signal Cabin can to be seen at the site due to multiple changes at the site over the years, including the coming of Dual-gauge track. This track was provided to service the East Perth Terminal interstate and intrastate passengers using Standard Gauge 4' 8 1/2" trains in addition to the normal 3' 6" suburban workings.

NOTE: This page is under development - please check back later, however, if you have any additional information on this signal cabin, it would be most welcome - please use the e-mail form provided.


Any additional information on this signal cabin would be most welcome - please use the e-mail form provided on this page.

Information researched and interpreted by Chris. J. E. French of SignallingWA

Additional reference: "Station Masters of WA" by J. Austin 2011

This page is copyright, and permission must be sought from SignallingWA before this page is used for any purpose other than personal education.

EAST GUILDFORD (1) Employees

This list may not be complete and does not yet include employees who worked here without being appointed.
Where an appointment date is unknown, the Weekly Notice (WN) date advising of the appointment or other official documentation, i.e. Certificate of Competency (CC) will be used.

Name

Appointed

Position

Bowers, W. Since September 1907 Officer-in-Charge
Gallagher, J. L. August 1908
Officer-in-Charge
Gallagher, J. L.
01/01/1910 Station Master
Ricketts, H. February 1910
Station Master
Buchan, W. S. April 1910
Station Master
Woods, S. April 1914
Station Master
Ralph, J. T. June 1916
Station Master
Evans, J. H. February 1919
Station Master
Bousfield, H. - ex S. M., Corrigin
22/04/1921 - WN 13 / 1921
Assistant Station Master
Scanlan, J. H. - Assist. Station Master 22/04/1921 - WN 13 / 1921 To Station Master, Corrigin
Wallace, A. September 1931
Station Master
McGowan, W. R. August 1932
Station Master
Taylor, W. P. February 1937
Station Master
Nolan, Philip Hans
05/02/1937 - WN 04 / 1937
Signalman, Class 3
Nolan, Philip Hans
10/02/1937
Signalman, Class 3
McKinnon, Gordon Andrew
19/08/1938 - WN 32 / 1938
Signalman, Class 3
McKinnon, Gordon Andrew
23/08/1938
Signalman, Class 3
Paterson, Leonard James
23/10/1940
Signalman, Class 3
Nolan, Philip Hans 11/02/1941 Signalman, Class 3
Scott, T. S. O. June 1941
Station Master
Briggs, L. A. B. 19/09/1941 - WN 37 / 1941
Signalman, Class 3
Dennis, Leslie, A. B.
22/09/1941
Signalman
Dennis, Leslie, A. B.
26/09/1941 - WN 38 / 1941
Signalman, Class 3
Stevenson, A. C.
20/03/1942 - WN 11 / 1942
Signalman, Class 3
Forrest, Clifford, R.
20/03/1942 - WN 11 / 1942
Signalman, Class 3
Forrest, Clifford, R.
22/05/1942 Signalman
McKinnon, Gordon A. 24/08/1942
Signalman, Class 3
Stevenson, A. C.
04/09/1942 - WN 35 / 1942 To Checker, Narrogin
Feather, Edward
09/10/1942 Signalman
Forrest, Clifford, R.
02/04/1943 - WN 13 / 1943 To Number Taker, Perth Goods
Hunt, F. J.
16/04/1943 - WN 15 / 1943
Signalman
Feather, Edward
28/05/1943 - WN 21 / 1943 To Checker, Perth Goods
Schorer, R. K.
18/06/1943 - WN 24 / 1943
Signalman
Clair, Eric Parker
26/11/1943 - WN 47 / 1943 Signalman
Mercer, J. F. January 1944
Station Master
Clair, Eric Parker
26/01/1944
Signalman
Paterson, Leonard J. 24/10/1944
Signalman, Class 3
Dennis, Leslie A. B. 23/09/1945 Signalman
Forrest, Clifford R. 23/05/1946 Signalman
Feather, Edward 10/10/1946 Signalman
Clair, Eric. P.
27/01/1948
Signalman
Haig, A. - Assist. Station Master 11/10/1948 - WN 43 / 1948 To Station Master, Meltham
Krinks, S. H. 01/11/1948 - WN 46 / 1948 Assistant Station Master
Mercer, J. F. - Station Master 16/06/1949 - WN 26 / 1949 To S.R.O., Perth
Barry, E. M. 13/07/1949 - WN 27 / 1949 Station Master
Is a name missing?
Please submit any corrections / additions with suitable evidence using the e-mail form above.
Back to content