Wyalkatchem - SignallingWA

Go to content

Main menu:

Wyalkatchem

Station Frames

WYALKATCHEM

WAGR - Northam to Merredin (via Amery)

1938 WAGR MAP Mileage = 140

Lat: ?

Long:  ?

Next Down Station:

Next Up Station:

KORRELOCKING

BENJABERRING

Quick Facts

Opened

Closed

Circa 1916

?

Mechanical

Electrical

7 Levers

?

Fate: Preserved onsite

The Station Frame at Wyalkatchem receives a well earned restoration - an article by Barry Keens (June 2007):

McKenzie and Holland Signal Lever Frame and Landing at Wyalkatchem Western Australia.


This installation, along with the other structures in the Wyalkatchem Railway Precinct, was assessed by the Heritage Council of WA and in November 2005 was included in the State Register of Heritage Places, reference 15755.

The Lever Frame was installed circa 1916 and appears to have remained in the same position ever since, located East of the Station Building which was erected in 1937. Originally 3 steps led up to the landing on the North, track, side and a wooden post and horizontal rail safety fence was in evidence. Currently 2 steps lead to the landing from the West side and the safety rail is of metal tubular construction on wooden posts. There is no indication when this change took place.

Despite extensive research into signalling installations this signal landing appears to be a unique structure in Western Australia and must be preserved at all costs.

The McKenzie and Holland Lever Frame originally had space for 10 levers although levers 1, 4 & 7 are missing. Levers 1 & 4 were probably never installed as they would have controlled distant signals from the Eastern lines which appear to have been fixed at caution from when they were installed.


In fact, there is an Annetts Lock attached to the frame which would have prevented the installation of lever 1. Lever 7 would have been a spare.









These statements are backed up by the Signalling diagrams of 1972 and 1977.

All signals were removed from the line many years ago but 2 have been preserved by the Wyalkatchem Museum and are used as an entrance statement to the East of the 1936 Wheat Bin on the Museum site. Both signals are McKenzie and Holland somersaults, one a Distant mounted on railway lines with wooden spacers and the other a home signal mounted on a solid jarrah post. Both are restored to working order and came from the Western approach to Wyalkatchem from Dowerin and controlled by levers 10 and 9 respectively.

The Lever Frame has been recently restored by Barry Keens of the Wyalkatchem Museum with funding from the Shire of Wyalkatchem and the landing wood framework is undergoing further preservation work.

Barry Keens
June 2007



Any additional information on this Station Frame would be most welcome - please use the e-mail form provided on this page.

Information, photos, research and interpretation by Barry Keens - Diagram of Signalling by WAGR

This page designed and provided by Chris. J. E. French of SignallingWA


Photographs © by
Chris. J. E. French and [] courtesy of RHWA Archives (image []) and Diagram of Signalling and Photograph © by W. A. G. R.

This page is copyright, and permission must be sought from SignallingWA before this page is used for any purpose other than personal education.

[Buy this page] or [View your SignallingWA ShoppingCart]





WYALKATCHEM Employees

This list may not be complete and does not yet include employees who worked here without being appointed

Name

Appointed

Position

Back to content | Back to main menu